T. 01367-358653 E. email@example.com
Lechlade on Thames
St Lawrence Church, Lechlade-on-Thames, Gloucestershire, is looking to appoint a skilled Organist and accompanist to support our Director of Music in enhancing our worship.
We have a friendly mixed four-part choir with both young and adult singers.
Duties will include playing for 3-4 services a month (which include occasional Parish Communion CW but mainly Choral Evensong BCP), other festivals and also accompanying choir practices.
Salary is £2,000 per annum with additional fees paid for weddings and funerals (negotiable depending upon experience) To apply, please send your CV with a covering letter to our Director of Music, Rachel Bath, preferably via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are happy to advertise vacancies for organists on this website, but we would be grateful if churches would tell us if a post is filled. In any case, we can only guarantee that requests are posted for six months.
Organist & Director of Music required for the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin. Wotton under Edge. Gloucestershire. GL12 7LS.
We are looking to appoint a committed and enthusiastic
musician who is not only an organist and pianist, but someone
who can also direct our choirs.
St Mary’s Church is committed to safeguarding and promoting
the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All
post holders and volunteers are expected to share this
Responsibilities will include music for Sunday services, significant
Holy days and regular choir practices, weddings and funerals as
required (although help may be available for weekday services).
This person will help us to continue the development of music to
enrich our worship.
They must have good people skills, be sensitive to Anglican
worship, liturgy and varied musical styles.
We have a strong choral tradition, and this supports the liturgy at Sunday Eucharist usually incorporating a communion anthem, and monthly Book of Common Prayer Evensong (including sung psalm / canticles and anthem). We also have monthly Choral Evensong where the service is led almost entirely by music and a well-established choir. We are exploring the scope for musical groups with new musical styles for our family services.
Our parish is part of the Tyndale Benefice (the parishes of Wotton, North Nibley, Alderley and Tresham). Our organ, Christopher Shrider’s magnificent instrument of 1726, has over four hundred of the original pipes and more than thirty stops distributed across three manuals and pedals. Harrison & Harrison regularly maintain it to a high standard.
St Mary’s has an Assistant Director of Music who organises the musical administration of the parish and who has kept our music playing throughout this vacancy.
There is much scope for musical development as well as leading our established choral traditions in this beautiful church.
Remuneration is in the range of £4300 – £5500 per annum depending on experience, qualifications, and responsibilities undertaken. Job shares would be considered. This is a part time role, the person(s) appointed will be employed by St Mary’s PCC and will be responsible to the Priest in Charge.
All appointments are subject to acceptable pre-appointment checks, including a satisfactory Enhanced DBS Check.
For an informal conversation please contact Hil Varlow 07795515219
For an application pack please email: email@example.com
UNITED BENEFICE OF THORNBURY WITH OLDBURY-ON-SEVERN AND SHEPPERDINE
ORGANIST & DIRECTOR OF MUSIC
An exciting role in our lively and growing Benefice. We are looking for an organist and Director of music to join our team. This new post includes playing our fabulous organ at St Mary’s, nurturing our enthusiastic choir and leading the music for the diverse worship of our communities across Thornbury and Oldbury.
A background or interest in playing in a Church of England Benefice would be valued.
Employed on a RSCM contract and reporting to the Priest-in-Charge. For the Job Specification, or if you have any questions, please contact Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications welcomed!
|Job Title||ORGANIST AND DIRECTOR OF MUSIC|
|Salary and Hours:||The Director of Music remuneration is in the top band of Royal School of Church Music (RSCM) rates at £6057 gross per annum for a suitably qualified occupant. Wedding fees and Funeral fees “owned” by the Director of Music are currently £160 and £98 respectively. Contract will be provided using the RSCM framework.|
|Date of Issue||February 2022|
DETAILS OF POST
• To play the organ for services across the Benefice, with focus at St Mary’s, Civic services and Christian Festivals and to provide musical direction for this lively, busy and growing Benefice
• To conduct and rehearse our voluntary choir of all abilities, provide encouragement and growth and inspire our worship
• To be the first point of contact for all wedding and funeral music provision, and to play for weddings and funerals at St Mary’s, St Paul’s, St Arilda’s, or to arrange suitable cover as needed
• Regular services in the Benefice will include: a weekly 10.30am service at St Mary’s and a monthly choral evensong. Occasionally you may be called upon to play in our other churches across the Benefice
• Lead the Friday evening and Sunday pre-service choir practices and maintain a network of support singers for special occasions
• Choose the monthly hymns and music for St. Mary’s
• Organise the monthly Sunday afternoon recitals
• The organ at St Mary’s is a lovely three manual instrument, refurbished in 2016 and a joy to play for any organist.
More details of our wonderful organ and of the choir, can be found on the music page on the parish website: www.thornburycofe.org.uk or, at
The St Paul’s organ is an electric digital Viscount with two manuals and pedal. You may also be asked occasionally to play the instruments at St Arilda’s and Shepperdine. • St Mary’s choir consists around 10 enthusiastic adults: with mixed experience. Within the choir are a number of instrumental musicians and choir conductors. Including an experienced organist and choirmaster who no longer wishes to take on a leadership role. A second member is an experienced choral conductor who has run Voice for Life training for young singers. We would be delighted to support this again in the future.
• Thornbury Parish has two churches, St Mary’s and St Paul’s, alongside our churches in the Oldbury Parish at St Arilda’s and Shepperdine. The worship of the Benefice is diverse but at St Mary’s in particular, we have a valued choral tradition. The choir sings at the 10.30 am service every Sunday and at a Choral BCP Evensong at 6.00 pm every second Sunday in the month: There may be an additional evensong in the month when the organ is required. Once a month the ‘All Age Service’ at St Mary’s is non-Eucharistic and uses songs/choruses as well as hymns. St Paul’s has a 9.00 am service with organ, the organists being drawn from amateur musicians and young organ scholars within the parish. There are additional services at all the main Christian Festivals which, may of course, fall on a week day (e.g. Ash Wednesday, Ascension Day) and also community services such as on Remembrance Sunday at which organ and choir are needed.
• In the past there was a series of monthly Sunday afternoon recitals taking place at St. Mary’s, designed to promote the organ, invite local artists and ensembles to perform in the church, and to raise money for music funds. These are historically followed by refreshments, prepared by a team of volunteers. We would be delighted to see these reinstated in the coming months.
• The Director of Music is mainly concerned with St Mary’s but ideally would be available to support the organists at St Paul’s, St. Arilda’s and Shepperdine. It is our desire that, while maintaining and growing the traditional music within the Anglican liturgy the post holder would have the ability and flexibility to include some more modern idioms e.g. at the All Age Service. It would be helpful if the occupant could attract additional members into the choir. Relief organists are available from our group of amateur players containing some experienced musicians. • If you are interested in being considered for the Director of Music post, please send a letter of application with Curriculum Vitae and two referees, by email to Kate at email@example.com